Student ID cards

How do I get a UNSW Student ID Card?

On completion of your enrolment, visit Help Zone in Library Foyer to obtain your student ID card.

How do I order a replacement of a lost UNSW ID Card?

If your student ID card is lost or stolen a replacement card may be obtained from the Security and Traffic Management Office located on Level 2 Mathews Building. You will need to bring one form of VALID photo identification, such as a passport, an Australian driver's licence or NSW ID card. A fee of $25 will apply for lost or misplaced ID cards.

Please note:
  • First, check for your card with Lost Property, located at the Gate 2 Campus Security office on High St. You can also email them at 
  • Replacement cards take approximately one hour to activate after issue. 
  • Your student ID card is not to be lent to others to use. The misuse of your card will be identified back to your name.
  • If security staff identifies a misuse of a student ID card, the card will be confiscated and a report is sent to the Student Conduct Officer.
  • A fine of $25 will be payable for the return of the card to the student.


**New Online Payment System Now Available**

Web online payments now available for ID Cards and Lanyards

UNSW Security and Traffic Management have introduced a web online payment system to allow UNSW staff, contractors and students to pay for their lost ID cards or to purchase lanyards online before they arrive on campus.

The online payment system will generate a receipt and email it to you. You can present the email or receipt to the Parking and Transport Management office.

For more information, contact UNSW Security and Traffic Management on 9385 5111 or email

No fee is required to replace an expired ID card. Please present your expired card and a new one will be issued free of charge.

How do I get building access?

Faculties, schools and units allocate access to their own buildings and rooms. Generic access is issued to all students by the faculty and will be added to your card automatically. If you are eligible for access to other areas, the person authorised by the faculty is required to email Security and Traffic Management on with the relevant details. The access rights will be allocated automatically once the application has been approved.